What are chakras?
Chakras are the concentrated energy centers of the body. Chakra is a Sunskirt term and it means “wheel” or “disk”, it is derived from the root word “cakra”. Chakras are spinning wheels of energy/light, they have the responsibility of taking in, incorporating and emanating energy to keep us to function properly.
When a chakra is not functioning properly or is blocked, an illness is more likely to occur. Our well-being on all levels can be affected: lack of energy, feeling of anger, feeling unbalanced …
There are 7 main chakras:
1- Base or Root Chakra- Muladhara
Bija mantra (seed sound) is lam. Its natural colour is red, and is located resting at the base of the spine, in the tailbone. It is associated with the element of Earth, and its properties are related to survival, security and it anchors us to the earth. It represents our foundation. To keep this chakra healthy, exercises such as jogging or dancing are beneficial. Its message is “I exist”.
2- Sacral Chakra- Svadhistance
Bija mantra is vam. This chakras natural colour is orange, and is located in the lower abdomen. It is associated with the element of water. It is related to sense of abundance, wellbeing, sexuality and desire for pleasure. It also informs us how we relate to our emotions and other peoples emotions. Bellydancing, yoga and loving partnerships can enhance the function of this chakra. Live your passion, whatever it may be! Its message is “I desire”.
- Solar Plexus Chakra- Manipura
Bija mantra is ram. Its natural colour is yellow, and is located in the upper abdomen in the stomach area. It is associated with the element of fire. It is related with power, and being in control. An overbearing solar plexus chakra (one not in balance with the other chakras) can result in obsessive compulsive control. When this chakra has a healthy flow it allows you to have control over your destiny, feel your power and accomplish your dreams. Whenever you felt butterflies or felt a pit in your stomach, thats the solar plexus chakra at work. Its message is “I control”.
- Heart chakra- Anahata
Bija mantra is yam. Its natural colour is green, and is located at the centre of the chest, just above the heart. It is associated with the element of air. It is related with love and compassion, joy and inner peace. Healthy relationships, pets, family and appreciation of beauty and nature enhances the health of this chakra. Let your hearts energy flow freely in and out. Be open to receiving love that is available to you, the free flowing love that is your birthright! This chakra connects the three bottom chakras (associated with maternity) with the top three ones (associated with spirituality). The message is “I love”.
- Throat Chakra- Vishuddha (the purifier)
Bija mantra is ham. Its natural colour is blue, and is located at the throat pit. It is associated with the element of expression and manifestation. It is related with authenticity, truthfulness, clarity influence, receptivity and peace. It is where you speak your truth to the world. It is a gateway and translator between the spiritual/unmanifest and physical/manifest aspect of our being. Singing, chanting and breathing exercises can enhance the health of this chakra. The message is “I express”.
- Third Eye Chakra- Ajne
Bija mantra is shan or om. Its natural colour is indigo, and is located in the space between the eyebrows. It is associated with the element light. It is related to insight, perception, intuition, awareness and guidance, discrimination and wisdom. Meditation and visualization exercises can assist the healthy flow of this chakra. Be open to your inner guidance, listen to your thoughts and they will assist you onto the right path. The third eye is the place of discrimination and final judgement, and its role in determining what is reality and what is illusion is crucial. Its message is “I am the witness”.
- The Crown Chakra- Sahasrara
Bija mantra is oh or sohem or ah. Its natural colour is violet or violet- white light, and is located at the very top of the head. It is associated with the element of cosmos- pure light and source of creation. It is related to inner and outer beauty, spiritual connection, union and the knowledge of being at one with all. Transcends into oneness, the gift is the transcendence of the individual self into true, mystical experience of unity and oneness. The messsage is “I am that I am”.
Minor chakras are small points that fuel the major chakras in the body. Reiki healers usually use the palm of their hands. There are 21 Minor Chakras distributed all over the body.
Hand and Foot which are linked with the CROWN chakra
Elbow and Knee which are linked with the ROOT chakra
Groin and Clavicular which are linked with the BROW chakra
Shoulder and Navel which are linked with the THROAT chakra
Ear and Intercostal which are linked with the HEART chakra
Being fully aware of all the seven chakras, their respective colours and the organs they impact will help you notice the improvements you can bring in your body through all the various methods of awakening and fortifying these chakras.
How to strengthen and increase the flow of your chakra systems?
Your chakras influence your physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual wellbeing. If your chakras become blocked, energy is prevented from flowing properly throughout the body . This can cause a variety of problems on a physical and metaphysical level. Clearing out clutter in our lives physically and emotionally will help to bring back balance and enhances our wellbeing.
Our body is an energetic system through which the universe life force flows through. Our 7 chakras are a part of this energetic system, they connect you with the larger part of yourself, the universe and they hold the secrets to our unique self and soul. To visualize a chakra in the body, imagine a swirling wheel of energy where matter and consciousness meet.
Each chakra corresponds to massive nerve centers in the body, they contain bundles of nerves and major organs as well as our psychological, emotional and spiritual state of being. Since everything is moving it is important that the chakras remain open and fluid to be in perfect alignment.
How to align the chakras
Our body is constantly between balanced and imbalanced. It is good to bring awareness to your body/mind and start understanding its signs and clues so that you can align your chakras. There are different ways but I am going to give you two that resonate with me and that I practice at least once week.
Chakra visualization meditation technique:
- Either lie on your back, or sit up in cross legged posture with your back straight, close your eyes and take 5 deep slow breaths and relax your mind
- Start visualizing the color red at the base of your spine as a glowing ball of red light. Feel your breath moving in and out from this center while continuing to imagine a red ball of light emanating from that location. You can also imagine a red ball of swirling energy.
- After spending a minute or two at the root chakra, move up to sacral chakra and do the same with the color orange
- Work through all the other other chakra until your are at the crown chakra
- With this last chakra envision the ball of energy flowing upward towards the sky as if it was a glowing crown of energy atop your head.
- Once you complete the cycle, relax for a few minutes and then finish the meditation, by affirming you are healthy, balanced and at peace.
Now your mind and body should be at a very positive and relaxed state; you should feel almost a tingle of very soothing energy throughout your body. This tingle is known as your Prana Life Force and is cosmic energy that flows through us all.
Chakra visualization technique with affirmation:
- Either lie on your back, or sit up in cross legged posture with your back straight, close your eyes and take 5 deep slow breaths and relax your mind.
- Tune into your breathing by placing your left hand on your heart and your right hand on your belly and feel your body rising with each inhale for a few minutes
- On your next inhale, you begin to visualize a white light filling the space in your belly and heart, and on your exhale, visualize this white light radiating throughout your entire body from head to toe.
- After a few minutes start visualizing that white light permeating into a deep red, saturating your belly and heart.
- On the exhale, this deep red radiates down from the heart to the belly, and pours into the base of your spine.
- On the next inhale, begin to repeat, “I am safe, I am grounded” as you visualize the deep red light filling up your belly and heart. As you exhale, beautiful red light pours down into the base of your spine.
- Repeat this for a few minutes and continue with the next chakra, white light permeating into a orange light and begin to repeat, “I am sensual, I am creative” as you visualize the vibrant orange light filling up your belly and heart. As you exhale, this beautiful orange light pours down into your lower belly, just below your navel.
- After a few minutes, on the inhale, white light permeating into a golden yellow light and begin to repeat, “I trust in my own guidance” as you visualize the golden yellow light filling up your belly and heart. As you exhale, this beautiful yellow light pours down into your sternum and the base of your ribs.
- After a few minutes on the inhale, white light permeating into a green emerald light and begin to repeat, “I fully love and accept myself” as you visualize the emerald green light filling up your belly and heart. As you exhale, this beautiful green light permeates your heart.
- After a few minutes on the inhale, white light permeating into a clear sky blue light saturating your belly and heart and start to repeat “I express myself with truth and love”. As you exhale, this beautiful sky blue light permeates your throat.
- After a few minutes on the inhale, white light permeating into a indigo blue saturating your belly and heart and start to repeat “I am aware, my mind is open” as you visualize the indigo blue filling up your belly and heart, going up your throat and in between your eyebrows. As you exhale, this beautiful indigo blue light permeates your forehead.
- After a few minutes on the inhale, white light permeating into a shimmering purple saturating your belly and heart and start to repeat “I am connected to pure love and light” as you visualize the shimmering purple light filling up your belly and heart, going up your throat, forehead and settling at the crown of your head. As you exhale, this beautiful light permeates through the crown of your head.
- Take one last deep inhale and repeat “I am whole, I am balanced” and exhale through the mouth, letting anything go that is no longer serving you.
- Return to normal breathing.
The above chakra meditations, work through the entire chakra system, but if you are interested in opening and balancing just one particular chakra, you can simply focus on doing the visualization meditation with the color for that specific chakra only. However you should be aware that it is hard sometimes to handle the increased energy flow of only one chakra that can occur when activated and opened.
There is so much more I would like to tell you about the chakra as each spinning wheel of energy is connected to a corresponding sign and planet but I think it would be too much information! We can also use crystals to align our chakras using one crystal on each chakra. Check for other blogs relating to chakras, as I will cover these 2 topics at another time.
If you want to book a session of Reiki with me, crystal healing or want to know more about my Therapeutic Candles, contact me directly HERE
PS: This is one of the many meditation music’s that I like to listen when I do my meditation. Of course you can choose to either listen to music that resonates with you or do you meditation in silence.