Peppermint is an aromatic herb in the mint family, it is a hybrid mint that is a cross between spearmint and watermint. It can be found naturally in North America and Europe. Records of the use of mint plants for medical purposes go all the way back to the times of ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome. It has been used for thousands of years for its pleasant minty taste. The oil extract from the leaves off of the peppermint plant is used for a variety of different purposes. It is usually used in food and beverages and as a fragrance in soap and cosmetics. Peppermint is used as a flavoring in breath mints, candies and other foods, many people also consume peppermint as a refreshing, caffeine-free tea, it is also used for a variety of health conditions and can be taken orally in dietary supplements or topically as skin cream or ointment.
Studies show that used topically it may help soothe tension headaches and cracked nipples from breastfeeding, further research needs to be conducted to confirm. The topical application of peppermint oil is generally safe, although it is necessary to dilute with a carrier oil like almond or jojoba oil. Be careful if you have sensitive skin, it may cause a durning sensation while it naturally alleviates discomfort. The peppermint plant contains antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, insecticidal, antispasmodic and germinative properties.
Benefits and uses of Peppermint plant:
- Freshens up your breath- There is a reason why peppermint is a common ingredient for toothpaste, mouthwash, mints and chewing gums. Peppermint also has antibacterial properties that helps kill germs that cause dental plaque, which may improve your breath.
- Aids in Indigestion- One of the oldest and highly regarded for soothing digestion is peppermint. It is very helpful in digestion as it has a carminative property of expelling gas from the stomach or intestines, as to relieve flatulence or abdominal pain or distension. Massage several drops onto your abdomen , place a drop on your wrists or inhale to soothe motion sickness or general nausea. Drinking mint tea has been the antidote to an upset stomach. Inhaling peppermint oil is also said to help curb the appetite by triggering a sense of fullness.
- Colds/Congestion- The menthol provides effective relief from many respiratory problems like: nasal congestion, sinusitis, bronchitis and the common cold or cough. It is commonly used in natural chest rubs to help with congestion. Massage 2-3 drops (with the carrier oil) onto your chest or drop into a humidifier to help clear sinus and lung congestion. If your head is feeling stuffy or you want stop coughing, try a peppermint essential oil steam, which is pouring boiling water into a bowl (metal or glass), add a few drops of essential oil (eucalyptus and rosemary are good combinations with peppermint). Drape a towel over your head and position your face 10-12 inches above the bowl and breathe in the steam.
- Headache- You should keep peppermint oil with you at all times, especially if you are prone to headaches. The use of the oil has also been known to effectively lessen tandem symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to noise and sensitivity to light. With a small amount of a centre oil and a drop of peppermint oil, rub on your temple, forehead or over the sinuses, and on the back of the neck to help soothe headaches and pressure; avoid contact with your eyes.
- Stress- Peppermint is able to provide relief from stress, depression and mental exhaustion due to its refreshing nature. It is also effective against feeling anxious and restless. For stress relief, the combination of peppermint, lavender and geranium essential oils added to a warm bath helps relieve stiffness while absorbed through the skin. Try using aromatherapy, by using a candle lamp diffuser with essential oils.
- Energy/Alertness- Peppermint oil powerfully affects and improves mental clarity and raises energy levels. If you are trying to cut back on caffeine, this may be a blessing to your mid-afternoon lull. Rub a drop of oil under the nose to help improve concentration and accuracy. Apply to the back of the neck and shoulders repeatedly to keep energy levels up during the day. Inhale before and during a workout to help boost your mood and reduce fatigue.
- Sore Muscles- Since peppermint oil has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and spasmodic properties, it not only can relieve pain and inflammation but can also calm the spasms that cause muscle cramps.
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)- IBS is a chronic gastrointestinal (GI) condition that can involve abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation. Relaxing the smooth muscles of the GI tract, having an anti-inflammatory effect, affecting the types of bacteria that naturally live in the GI tract, decreasing pain sensation in the GI tract.
- Relax Muscles- The menthol in the peppermint cools over worked muscles, which is why peppermint is an ingredient in most of the muscle rubs.
Our Mantra Blends comes with six proprietary blends of harmony, steeped with tradition and significance. The essential oil blend using Peppermint is our Energy Blend.
To check our products go to http://www.followkathy.com
To take the free tour http://www.gethealthierwithcbd.info
If you need more info, don’t hesitate to contact me 🙂
PS: FDA Disclaimer: Statements made on this product, website or sales materials have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. MyDailyChoice and HempWorx products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. These products are NOT intended to replace medications or eliminate the advice of a competent health care practitioner.
HempWorx MyDailyChoice Mantra Essential Oils help you relax into your natural and soulful happiness. With six enriching scents: Breathe, Energy, Restore, Relax, Focus and Sleep. There’s an essential oil ready to carry you throughout your day.